"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."
Michelangelo
Welcome! This blog is about my random thoughts, colourful pictures and paintings, some of my pencil drawings, reflections on things I feel strongly about and my experiences as I journey through life. Hope you enjoy it. Feel free to add your comments and suggestions, but please refrain from spam, racist or uncomfortable comments. Thanks for visiting!

Monday 15 August 2011

Bhaja Govindam - M.S rendition

The first time I heard the Bhaja Govindam song when I was six, I was hooked. For the ignorant souls, it is a devotional song composed by Adi Sankaracharya about 'Bhakti' to lord Krishna, Govinda. It emphasies that the devotion to Lord Krishna is the first step in the path of spirituality towards attaining moksham - spiritual absolution.

It was the first song in the audio cassette followed by the Vishnu Sahasranamam. Both are rendered by the legend M.S.Subbulakshmi.The significance of this audio version is that one of the timeless, classic song explaining the Bhakti margam is sung by M.S. When singing a devotional song, perfect rendition of the raga, tala, shruti is just not sufficient. The singing must capture the essence of the lyric, must move the listener to the poet's imagination which can be achieved only when it is sung with Bhakti. The lyrics sung by the distinct exceptional, ethereal voice of M.S drips with her devotion to Lord Krishna and transports one to Vaikundam - the abode of Lord Vishnu.

This song remains my most favorite song - a ray of light, hope and comfort in the bleak darkness. A lifeline whenever I feel desolate, hopeless and lonely. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHoZz0o1_Mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.